Careers at Laker
Any careers vacancies we have will appear below, however please do not hesitate to contact us on or call in see us at any of our branches.
We are always on the lookout for enthusiastic and passionate staff who are willing to go that extra mile for our customers, whether that is working on one of our sales counters, dealing with an accounts query over the telephone, working in the yard, or driving a Van vehicle.
If you have previous experience working in a builders’ merchants, that’s great! But don’t worry if you haven’t; we have a great team of knowledgeable, long-standing staff ready to train you up. In return we can offer you a competitive salary, paid holiday to include bank holidays, and the potential to progress within the company.
If you are interested in building a career with Laker, please call us on 01293 334412 or come and see us at the address relevant to the job posted below, or simply send your CV to email@example.com.
Personal Assistant required for Director
Overall Purpose of the Job:
The main focus of this role will be to work closely with the Director, to provide administrative support on a one to one basis. You will have a wide range of duties revolving around implementing business efficiencies, supporting the expansion of all the Laker Builders Merchant Depots. The role involves administrational support to ensure key Company objectives are hit, which will include at times assistance to key reports. Tasks are likely to include;
Key Activities & Responsibilities:
- Maintaining Laker systems, including db management / OneDrive organisation, Laker sales CRM, also MAM ERP merchanting system.
- English proficiency, Proof reading, constructing replying to emails. Organising contacts, prioritising tasks. ability to multitask as necessary.
- Meeting and greeting clients & suppliers at all levels of seniority.
- Organising and maintaining diary and appointments, outstanding time management.
- Carrying out background marketing & project research and presenting findings.
- Producing documents, briefing papers, reports and presentations.
- Organising and attending meetings taking minutes and distributing to attendees. ensuring the Director is always well prepared.
- Liaising with clients new and existing and all members of staff as necessary.
- Carrying out special projects or support with associated research as often required.
- Managing & checking Lakers e-commerce website, checking developer changes.
- Good SMO & SEO understanding, along with marketing experience.
- PA Diploma or Certification would be considered an advantage.
- Exceptionally IT literate – excellent knowledge required of Microsoft 365 in particular, OneDrive, SharePoint, Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Dynamics 365 & Flow.
- Due to the nature of the role, understanding sensitivity of issues and the need for discretion and confidentiality are also essential attributes.
- Good understanding and Program Management.
- Marketing experience and expertise will be a mandatory requirement
- Ability to quickly establish credibility and respect and build strong working relationships with department managers and all staff. Demonstrable maturity, professionalism and gravitas, tack & diplomacy.
- Extremely well organised, with excellent attention to detail.
- Exceptional communication skills, both verbal and written, ability to communicate with colleagues and clients at all levels.
- Self-motivated, with an ability to work and think under own initiative.
- Extremely well organised
- Highly proficient in all Cloud, OneDrive, SharePoint and Cloud CRM. Accomplished with Excel spreadsheets.
- Sales & Marketing experience mandatory.
- Experienced PA (basic finance knowledge or some experience in finance industry)
- Monday to Friday TBA with 1 hour for lunch
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
In summary Laker Builders Merchant require a self-motivated individual, with a flexible approach, excellent communication skills and a customer-focused attitude. An individual very ‘au fait’ in marketing, finance and experienced with latest MS365 releases.
Based from Gatwick, Hours: TBA
20 days annual leave + public holidays
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Salary: £24,000.00 to £26,000.00 / year
Experienced HGV Class 2 Driver required – Crawley – RH10 9RD
An experienced Builders merchant customer delivery driver with full HGV licence, you will be required to safely deliver building materials to our customers whilst representing the company based from our Crawley headquarters covering an approximate 20 mile radius. A mandatory clean licence with a professional approach towards your vehicle the high standards of safety and duty of care will be mandatory. In addition, your job role will include supporting your colleagues within the branch, yard and warehouse. We are looking for someone with:
Experience and Qualifications:
- A valid full HGV Class 2 licence, must have HIAB ticket with remote and rear wheel steer experience.
- Full CPC card.
- 2 years + experience
- Needs to be able to work with the team and has a conscientious attitude towards stock and equipment.
- Should have experience in delivering building materials and a friendly “can do” positive attitude.
- Previous training in IOSH Working safely would be desirable.
- Flexible and willing to support the needs of the business.
- Highly motivated with the ability and desire to make a difference.
- Take ownership for improving safety standards and creating a safety-first environment.
- A passionate individual, with an good understanding of providing exceptional customer service.
Who we are looking for:
- The ideal Class 2 HGV Hiab Driver will have a friendly and outgoing nature and can work independently and within a team.
- An HGV Licence at Class 2 or above required and previous experience of HGV Driving essential.
Because it’s all about making sure our customers get the best experience
- your role includes: • driving the branch lorries, making deliveries • working in the yard when required • ensuring that your vehicle is road worthy • ensuring orders are correctly loaded onto your vehicle • building effective working relationships with customers • supporting your team mates
- The successful applicant will have strong logistical and geographical knowledge, excellent interpersonal skills and be self-motivated, flexible, and adaptable.
- The successful applicant would ideally have experience with building materials and with remote controlled lorry mounted crane offloading, but full Health and Safety training will be given. A fork lift licence would also be preferable.
In summary Laker Builders Merchant require a self-motivated individual, with a flexible approach, excellent communication skills and a customer-focused attitude. Based from Crawley, Hours: Monday to Friday 7.00am to 5pm and every other Saturday 8am to midday
Based from Gatwick HQ: Driving brand new 26 Tonne Hi-ab
Job Type: Full Time
Salary: £24,500.00 – £27,500.00 / year
20 days annual leave + public holidays
Experienced Counter Sales positions – (Cranleigh – GU6 8RZ).
Laker is expanding; If you are an Experienced Merchant Sales Person with a proven track record of selling building products, then this will be an excellent opportunity to work for a dynamic growing organisation!
Providing a point of contact for customers on the sales counter, dealing with enquiries over the phone and face to face, whilst maintaining high levels of customer service in order to maximise sales potential.
Because it’s all about making sure the customers get the best experience when they visit a Laker Builders Merchant, your role includes:
- Build effective working relationships with customers, in order to understand their requirements thus ensuring that the correct products are supplied.
- Use initiative to identify sales opportunities and offer advice and solutions to customers, thus maximising profitable sales and margin.
- Maintain a clean and effectively merchandised counter area in line with company policy.
- Ensure that company policies are followed at all times when producing paperwork associated with sales.
- Liaise with suppliers where necessary.
- Support the Branch Manager and colleagues in working as a team to ensure the branch operates efficiently and effectively within company policy. Helping yard staff when possible.
- Ensure a tidy working environment at all times in line with health and safety guidelines.
- Actively safeguard against theft of company goods or property by being security conscious at all times.
- Perform any other duties as may be deemed necessary or as may be required by the company.
We are looking for someone with a proven track record of sales within the building merchanting / Builder Merchant industry who will also need:
- A really positive attitude.
- Someone who is reliable and enthusiastic.
- Someone who is happy to muck-in and do whatever needs doing.
- Enjoy talking to lots of different people.
- Live a reasonable distance to the Crawley branch.
- In return, we offer you to be part of a fun and growing builders merchant who aim to keep providing service levels that the national merchant cannot.
- Excellent basic salary.
- Discretionary bonus scheme following probationary period.
- 20 days annual leave + public holidays.
- A contributory pension scheme.
- A range of training and development programmes to help you progress your career.
- Able to demonstrate knowledge of general building, hardware, timber products and their uses.
- Able to deal with customer queries and complaints in a polite and courteous manner.
- Organised and punctual
- Able to manually lift and carry loads.
- Basic computer skills.
- Ability and desire to work as part of a team.
- Drivers license.
- Forklift license.
Hours: Monday to Friday 7.00am to 5pm and every other Saturday 8am to midday